The Creek Evolution 50CD is a step into a new era of electronics for Creek Audio. Not only does it offer world class CD performance, it also offers the ability to input multiple external digital signals; including (24bit 192KHz) USB. The Evolution 50CD, when paired with the Evolution 50A, delivers remarkable audio performance for its price range with excellent functionality.
The EVOLUTION 50CD is a high-end DAC, with built-in CD transport and not just a CD Player. It can accept a total of seven digital sources, including an optional “Comet” BT module. It also has two digital outputs and a custom Creek RC bus to extend the Infra-Red Sensor or synchronise it with its matching amplifier.
To fully realise the potential sonic benefits of streaming hi-resolution 24/192 music files from a computer, asynchronous USB 2 support is vital. The 2016 Evolution 50CD has been upgraded to support USB 2. The 2016 EVOLUTION 50CD circuitry works with various computer platforms but requires a custom ASIO driver to enable it to work with PCs. The ASIO and USB 2 driver can both be downloaded from this webpage.
The highest quality audio output is available via balanced or un-balanced sockets for maximum flexibility. Balanced outputs are recommended if long interconnects are needed. After extensive listening tests, Creek Audio’s staff selected the best sounding output buffer circuitry before finalising the design.
To maintain top performance, the custom CDM-1 slot-drive CD transport is clocked by a separate, extremely accurate ultra-low jitter, master-clock, situated right next to the DAC for bit-perfect performance.
The EVOLUTION 50CD uses a powerful 25 Watt toroidal mains transformer to maintain a low magnetic field and excellent noise performance. It features three separate windings, to power its analogue and digital circuitry and custom CD transport. Multiple low-impedance power supply capacitors and voltage regulators are used to optimise the power supplies’ performance. Organic polymer capacitors are used to decouple critical analogue and digital circuits and high-grade WIMA polypropylene capacitors are used in the output filters.
To optimise its performance, the evolution 50CD uses two top-of-the-range 24 Bit 192 kHz stereo DACs, running in double differential mode, to improve the cancellation of distortion and noise. A multiple frequency, low-jitter, clock optimises the performance of the DAC at all sample rates. A completely independent clock maintains bit-perfect performance for Compact Disc.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION of the Creek Evolution 50CD CD Player
- DIGITAL INPUTS 2 x SPDIF, 24 Bit 192 kHz, transformer isolated
- 2 x Toslink, 24 Bit 192 kHz, optically isolated
- 1 x USB class 2 24 bit 192kHz
- CD TRANSPORT Custom designed, professional quality, CD slot-loader, externally clocked for bit perfect performance
- SNR > 110dBA unbalanced
- DIGITAL OUTPUT 1 x SPDIF and 1 x Toslink optical output, pass-on all input signals
- DIGITAL FILTERS Optional digital filters are selectable via the remote
- ANALOGUE OUTPUT 2 x RCA unbalanced, 2.0V RMS. 2 x XLR balanced output, 4.0V RMS
- AUDIO BUFFERING Op-amp audio buffering and filtering
- OUTPUT IMPEDANCE 47 Ohms
- POWER SUPPLY 25 Watt toroidal mains transformer with 3 separate secondary voltage windings, with multi-cap power supply decoupling and multiple ultra-low noise discrete power supply voltage regulators.
- RC BUS Input/output connection for external IR remote and a serial link to Evolution 50A.
- DAC TYPE 2 x Wolfson WM8742, 24 Bit 192 kHz, double differential.
- INPUT RECEIVER WM8805, multichannel digital input receiver.
- OPERATING VOLTAGES 100 – 120V/ 200 – 240V, Switchable
- POWER CONSUMPTION 20 Watts (at idle)
- WEIGHT 5.5kg
- DIMENSIONS W/H/D 430 x 60 x 280mm
- FINISHES Silver or black engraved front panels