QUAD proudly announce Z Series, their new flagship ribbon loudspeaker range. After taking a new approach to ribbon tweeter design using a unique sandwich formation, an exceptionally robust, high power speaker has been engineered, yet with the delicate sound conventional ribbon speakers are known for. Z Series is housed beautifully curved piano lacquered cabinets.
The Ribbon Tweeter
Unlike conventional dome treble units where the voice coil ‘motor’ is attached separately to the diaphragm, Z Series ribbon is both the diaphragm and the motor system. The result is a unique combination of delicacy, smoothness and hear-through performance that helps make your music sing.
While taking influence from the unparalleled success of the ESL speaker, the ribbon itself is engineered to be extremely light and thin, which delivers the startling accuracy and wide coverage Quad is famous for.
In our flagship series, the larger 90 x 12mm true ribbon creates an even higher sensitivity and bandwidth which means better dynamics and an even smoother integration with the midrange frequencies.
Woven Glass Fibre Woofer
In the Z Series floorstanders, this advanced ribbon unit is married to an equally high performance midrange driver with a unique double-roll-surround especially designed to control edge breakup and give equal transparency to the all important vocal range.
Both the midrange and bass drivers feature Quad’s woven glass fibre cone geometry, now matched by the double-roll-surround for the same smoothness and clarity offered by the ribbon treble unit.
The bass section, similar to the original Corner Ribbon utilises an acoustic filter bass reflex system. This section uses a double chamber filter that eliminates “chuffing” found in inferior loudspeakers with conventional ports.
This also maintains a natural and unforced reproduction right down to the lowest frequencies of a symphony orchestra, producing our signature sound as found in the iconic ESLs.
Specifications of QUAD Z-4 Floorstanding Speaker
- General description Floor-standing
- Enclosure type bass reflex
- Bass Driver 3 x 175mm black glass fibre
- Transducer complement 3-way
- Mid Range Driver 150mm black glass fibre cone
- Treble driver 90x12mm true ribbon
- AV shield No
- Sensitivity (1W @ 1m) 90db
- Recommended amplifier power 60-250w
- Peak power handling 120w
- Peak SPL 115dB
- Nominal impedance 4Ω
- Minimum impedance 3.6Ω
- Frequency response (+/-3dB) 47Hz – 20kHz
- Bass extension (-6dB) 40Hz
- Crossover frequency 300Hz & 3.5KHz
- Cabinet Volume (in litres) 43L
- Dimensions (mm) 1175 x 267 x 340
- Weight 23.5kg
- Finish Piano Rosewood or Piano Black
- Accessories user manual, certificate, spike seat